Friday, January 21, 2011

Boys' Rooms

So it's been almost a year since I completed the boys' current bedroom and bathroom, but I don't think I ever blogged about it. I've decided I'm still so proud of my work that I'd show it off now. The first room completed was Brayden's bedroom which he now shares with Rylan. We decided to go with a surfboard theme. Right outside of their room is a growth measurement board that Brodie painted and designed himself. Every year on their birthdays they get measured, so it will be a fun tradition.


Originally the room looked like this with just Brayden's bed in it..


But since having to move Rylan into the room, we had to purchase a bunk bed and move a few things around...


Oh and here's a surfboard pillow I attempted to make for Brayden


I had seen a mural that looked way cooler than this, but figured I could do my own version and recreate it myself on their wall. We love it and think the boys do too. Next project was their bathroom. This was one of those things where I kept looking for something to decorate it in and couldn't ever find anything. Then one magical day at Kohls, long after I had given up, I saw this bathroom decor. For my kids, it couldn't have been more perfect considering they are little monsters themselves.


Brodie and I picked out coordinating colors and painted the 3 stripes on each wall in both rooms of the bathroom. On the one wall, we also added beadboard and trim. Next came the little accessories and decorations.


I made the laughter sign out of left over beadboard and matching paint - it fits in pretty well that way. As I was planning out the finishing touches I felt like their needed to be some art work on the walls. The only thing is that this line didn't carry any. I decided to go full on NERD to get what I wanted. I went and looked up the products on-line at the Kohls' web-site. I saved the images of the products, opened them in Photoshop, trimmed around the images, and added a bright color behind them. Then I saved them and had them printed out as photos. I'm not gonna lie, it was hard, and there was some cursing involved, but I think the little photos totally add something...and it was worth it.

You can see the cute rug in this last picture...along with the paint Brodie spilled all over the carpet. Needless to say we will be tiling in here someday. Regardless of the spill, the boys are still so excited to have monsters everywhere and really enjoy having their own bathroom. We had fun decorating and getting creative (by we I might mean more of me than Brodie, but still). I can't wait to add the finishing touches to the nursery and get it all posted here. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Angie said...

I am so glad that you blog...I had no idea! For all the times I have been in your house, I have never seen your boys' bedroom and bathroom. They are very cute. You are so crafty...I love it!

Holland Blog said...

First off I love the boys room and that bunk bed, the stairs that are drawers! where did you buy that? Also the bathroom is adorable! The monsters are so cute! You are very crafty!

Simmons Family said...

I searched everywhere for that bunk bed - safer for the little guys to go up and down. I found an ad on craigslist for a warehouse that sold them at wholesale prices for cheap. Had so much fun doing those rooms :)