Monday, March 21, 2011

THE Nursery

So the second we found out we were having a girl, my mind went into super drive. I started thinking about all of the outfits she would need to look fabulous on a moment by moment basis. All of the hair accessories and shoes and baby items that I would need to make her look legit. And of course I had thoughts about redoing the nursery. You see a few years ago we decided that we only wanted to paint the nursery once. We picked a very light colored ice blue and decided I would simply change the decor if we ever had a girl. I honestly never thought we would have a girl, and I'm sure Brodie thought I'd never go back on my word. Guess we were both wrong. Not only did I decide we needed to paint the nursery, but I had a very elaborate idea in my head. I am stubborn and always do what I want, so either Brodie was helping or I was on my own, but either way I was going to create my vision. Being as pregnant as I was Brodie felt obligated and caved on his demand of "I'm not helping paint that room again." Needless to say that Brodie's excitement over having a girl shortly went from this


In my head I had an elaborate chic nursery vision that required a lot of prep work on our walls. Unfortunately for my painting desires, our house has really textured walls, and if any painting requires taping it's almost pointless. Tape has a hard time sticking to the walls and thus renders it useless. In order to accomplish what I wanted in the nursery we had to sand all of the walls. Both my dad and Brodie spent 3 solid days sanding down the texture so that tape could render effective.



Lucky for me they found ways to entertain themselves...like a bunch of 3rd graders...


It made a huge mess of dust throughout the whole house, but at least they had fun. After the sanding and CLEANING were done we could paint the base color. Once we had painted 2 coats and it was dry, I started on the 3 week process of taping. My tape job looked a little something like this


Next we had to paint the second color, remove all of the tape, and touch up the walls to make sure the lines looked crisp. Brodie's comment when this was all over with was "it looks awesome, I'm not denying that. But if you ever decide to do this again, we better be rich enough to be able to pay someone else cause I'm not helping." I kinda had to agree cause this process was long and tedious. Once all of the walls were done I could finally start decorating and arranging everything. I swear that process was even longer than the paint job. I'm so proud of everything I did in the room. However, I don't want to make you wait any longer. I had Brodie throw together a little video of the room for you to watch, so sit back and be amazed :)



I used all of the same furniture from before except for the crib. The boys had destroyed the other crib, so a new one had to be purchased. Lucky for me the crib I have been dying to own since I ever became a mother just happened to be for sale on Craigslist for a ridiculously cheap price. Throwing the purple rug in front of the crib was all Brodie's idea and it definitely brings the room together. I loved adding all of the little trinkets to the shelves in her room. The piggy bank just happens to be mine from when I was a baby. Some of the other decorations we've had for years and others I purchased at Goodwill, but all were painted to match the room.


Next came the wire mannequin behind the crib. That just happens to be a partial Brodie idea as well. Brodie thought there needed to be something behind the crib. Originally he had suggested a coat rack that we could hang cute girly things off of. I took his idea and changed it into this and added a necklace to it instead.



Next I had to figure out some way to display her name in the nursery. I saw so many different cute ideas on-line of how different people accomplished this in their nurseries and I feel like this was sort of a combination of a few of those. We bought the wood letters and spray painted them with black paint and then with white crackle paint. Then I sanded and spray painted the frame I purchased from Goodwill. I cut the ribbon, attached it to the letters and then attached it to the frame. The 'I am a child of God' sign was given to us by a friend when Brayden was born and seemed to go just perfectly in the frame to finish it off.



Next is this mirror I found at Goodwill. I replaced the ribbon in it and added a flower that I bought from the craft store. I had to take the flower apart and relayer it to fit better on the mirror, and then I added some bling to the flower to make it a little more fabulous.


The next thing in her room was like a little treasure that I found. It was on a website from a seller of this local holiday vendor show I went to. I kept searching the site for a different item that had been sold out at the show and stumbled on these instead. These gorgeous crown hooks now hold up all things necessary for her hair.


Something I made especially for her room was her hair bow holder. I went all out on this baby. I made a few for some family members and posted it on an earlier blog here. I designed the shape and cut the wood. I covered it in batting and fabric, then embellished it with a super chic bow and some pearls. I couldn't have done a better job on this if I tried. It goes perfectly in her room.


The next piece in her room that I worked on would seem insignificant to any other person. It's a simple lamp that is by no means fancy, but it means a lot to me. This lamp was designed, carved out, and wired by my uncle and grandpa long before I was ever born. The dang thing was so old that a few years ago I went to plug it in, electrocuted myself, and blew a fuse through most of upstairs. We finally rewired it, painted it, and added a cute shade.


I reupholstered the glider again to match the nursery, bought a cute clothes hamper, and added a few things here and there.

Lastly I decided I was skilled enough to make her crib bedding. The first thing I made was her quilt. I hate sewing minky material, but it's just so cute. I found damask fleece fabric and used the minky in the center. I even added a trim in between the two - not as easy as it sounds. But with the batting in this thing it's one warm and cozy blanket.


Next were the crib bumpers. I had really wanted to add her initials monogrammed into these, but thanks to my lack of skill and plenty of cursing, I nixed that idea. Instead the bumpers have just the minky in the middle with purple and black ribbons to tie them to the crib. I drew the line at sewing the sheet and found a purple damask one on-line for WAY to much instead :)



This nursery couldn't be more perfect. It's the exact vision I had in my head. The room turned out gorgeous and I think it's a room she can grow into. Although I think that by the time Brynn is old enough to actually care what this room looks like, we will be moving. Who cares. I had fun doing it and I love going in there just to look at it. Thanks to all of my family who helped!

9 comments:

Megan R. said...

That is the cutest room ever. I can not believe the paint. it's amazing. You should be a designer. So cute.

Angie said...

It turned out so cute! You put in so much work..but it was worth it!

Lelani said...

Wow, it's a ton of work. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

what a cute room! great job!

Riverside said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Wow, Jennika, that is AMAZING! Had you seen a paint job like that somewhere? I love it, and it matches so well with the theme of the room. I love that even your blog background matches! =) haha What a lucky little girl. I can totally relate to all the fun you had decorating it. I'm exactly the same way, including the stubborn part. =) I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had fun seeing all of your work (including the boys bedroom and bathroom--great job on that! I thought the photoshopped images of the monsters is brilliant, definitely not nerdy!) Anyway, it was fun reading all about it all. Glad you're doing well. Love and miss you!

Melissa said...

WOW!! What a gorgeous room. Truly a labor of love.

Mark and Lachelle said...

Are you kidding me?! I freakin love it!! You guys are way too ambitious for me! You should come do my nursery! Pleeease??

Haylee said...

Wow! It ended up looking amazing! We have the same issue with the walls in my house and I've never thought of sanding them down but that's genius. Granted I have no idea how to use a sander and I unfortunately don't have a cute hubby to do it for me. ha it's a great idea though. And man I tell you, Craigslist is the way to go! I just found a way cute bedside table via that lovely website as well. Wow this comment is getting way too long but I just wanted to tell you how impressed I was at the turn out. You guys did great!